Reinstalled my X-brace, found and fixed an exhaust squeak, and lubed my rear suspension.

Then got started on the Howerton Aquamist install…

The star of the show for this system is the custom 3 gallon fuel cell. Jeff takes a commodity cell and reworks it significantly: custom stainless top and hardware, aluminum mounting plate for pump, heavy aluminum base plate for mounting. He adds a plastic baffle system to regulate surging within the tank while under extreme G-loads. Adds pickup, level sensor and roll-over valve. I had him build mine with AN type hardware and lines.

I’m installing this in the right rear corner of the car… the lightest corner. This will add about 30 pounds to that corner when full. Which is about what I lost by going with a lightweight battery last year.

Speaking of the battery… I need to retain access to the battery for maintenance, track inspections, pulling the ground when doing work that requires it, etc. But I don’t want to remove the tank every time I need to get to the battery. So I devised a plan for that.

Here’s the tank/pump in position. I’ve removed the plastic boot liner, but the rigid floor panel is in place. If the tank is bolted down, this panel will block access to the battery…
Click the image to open in full size.

So I cut it!
Click the image to open in full size.

The tank bolts down through both the plastic liner and the right section of the floor panel. I can flip the liner up out of the way, pull the left section of the panel, and VOILA.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

I installed nutserts for the tank bolts, and drilled the tank base plate to match.

I need two outlets for AN lines: one to take methanol to the engine bay, and a second for the vent. This connects to the roll-over vent connection on the top of the tank. If I happen to put the car shiny-side-down, this valve closes so meth doesn’t run out and cause a fire.

I purchased AN-type bulkhead fittings, and installed these through the floor in front of the tank. Then I can connect short lines to these inside the car, and can connect to the meth connection under the car to go forward to the engine bay. The vent is just open under the car, over the heat shield. No meth should ever flow out this line, just some air in and maybe a bit of vapor out.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

All piped up!
Click the image to open in full size.

Now to get to the engine bay…
I connected an AN line to the meth bulkhead fitting under the car, then ran through the subframe, around the fuel charcoal canister and fuel tank, then followed the fuel lines to the front of the car, tying to the fuel line brackets along the way.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Routed up through the right side cowl compartment, along with my wideband O2 and EGT wiring.
Click the image to open in full size.

Tomorrow, will finish the meth hookup and wiring, as well as the wiring for the Zeitronix wideband / EGT / data logger. And will hopefully get to drive some… I was so busy on the lift today, I didn’t drive!!!! 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>